This week, our intern dinner was a huge success! We chose a Potluck theme and asked everyone to bring their favorite dish. We made it even more interesting by making it a competition (with the prize being a feature on Behind the Seams, of course). I wish we would have done this sooner, since it shaped up to be one of the best dinners I’ve had in awhile. Since we are, let’s face it, a bunch of college kids, we decided not to put the stipulation on the contest that it had to be homemade, hence the watermelon, or prepared by anyone specific, which led to a few entries by interns’ Moms.
My dish for the evening – a Make-Your-Own Macaroni and Cheese Bar – was actually inspired by one of my favorite bloggers, The Pioneer Woman. I’ll admit it … I used a box to make the Mac n’ Cheese and used different toppings than she did, but it was still delicious.
The day after our get-together, I had all of the interns who attended vote on their favorite dish. And the winner was … Abby, the E-Commerce intern (who you might recognize from our Communities page)! She made some delicious Black Bean Salsa that changed my life (and everyone else’s, I’m sure), and she was kind enough to share the recipe, so you all can try some too!
- 1 red bell pepper, 1 yellow bell pepper, 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1/2 cup diced red onion
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped cilantro
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Juice of 1/2 lime
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can corn, drained
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Tortilla chips, to serve
- In a large bowl, combine the bell peppers, onion, corn, black beans, garlic and cilantro.
- Whisk olive oil, vinegar, lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Toss and serve with chips.
I’m already planning to make this fabulous dish for a family get-together we are having the weekend of my sister’s wedding! It is the perfect complement to a hot summer day, and it tastes great either with chips … or even without, so give it a try!